I warmly welcome!
I invite you to an entry devoted to the top three of the eight-person unit of Teutonic Knechts from V&V Miniatures today.
Previous entries from the Northern / Baltic Crusades project:
- Northern Crusades. Teutonic sergeants / Knechts #5 ( V&V Miniatures Crusaders 2 inboxing )
- Northern Crusades. Latrunculi / Struters (knights - brigands). Teutonic Order #4
- Northern Crusades. Prussia and Lithuania. Teutonic Order #3
- Northern Crusades. Konrad, the Devil and the Latrunculi / Struters (knights - brigands). Teutonic Order #2
- Northern Crusades. Historical background. Teutonic Order #1
In the Teutonic Order, apart from the group of Brothers-Knights and Half-Brothers, we can also mention a large group of people, such as peasants from monastic goods and knechts, employed in monastery farms, stables, and camps.
For their service, the knechts received payment or only food and accommodation. The regulations forbid them to leave the religious house without permission, stay in the inn and play dice.
They were punished more severely than their brothers or half-brothers: a knecht who hit a brother or injured another knecht had to serve "in iron" (shackles) together with slaves for a year.
What distinguished them in battle was a gray tunic, as opposed to the white-knightly tunic, and frequent crosses in the letter "T" (which, however, were more common during their service in the castle than on the battlefield).